November 1, 2008

Day 1 ends in the faded lights of the city that never sleeps..

Venue: Bangkok Date: 19.01.2008 Time: 04:30 p.m. Feeling: Tired

On our way through the city roads, we managed to barge into many governmental buildings, sky-scraper facing roads, and the enormously stretching flyover from the city till the airport, each prolonging a length of 200-300 kms. And not to forget to mention, everywhere around in Thailand, am sure the census would be surprised to find that the human population is much lesser than the canine population. Man, I sure was bugged by that. From the temples to the stalls, from the hotel to the markets! They were all there filling the picture with pride. Anyways, after a long drive and my small siesta (in between I did eavesdrop to listen to my hubby voicing some opinions about the country, to the driver), we finally reached the base of the golden mountain or the Golden Mount or Phu Kao Thong.



The Phu Kao Thong is supposedly built on an artificial hill and it is even better known as the guard who makes the beauty of the city rise up levels high. For a minute or two, I hesitated and asked my hubby whether to tour this temple due to the amazing height that it dwelled upon. But like some kind of a hypnotic reversion, I pulled myself out of the Camry and followed my hubby to climb to the peak of this temple, ascending all the 300 steps. The peak is known as the Chedi (something like a ‘Gopuram’) and it contains that idol of Buddha brought all the way back in the 18th century, from India (the birthplace of the original Buddha!) There are two alternative ways to reach the top. One of which is quite challenging and not that concrete, a path nature built just for people who’d like to trek even small distances . If you are a person with a knee-knock, I would advise you to take the steps to head towards the temple.


The cuddled path to the temple will premiere a set of small Buddha idols along the path where, if interested, you can pray and light a scented stick. Donations are also welcome. If a master of photography, this path will really provide you a plethora of awesome landscapes, city views, different angles of the temple and other exciting tidbits. Taking the neater route would not provide you much entertainment, except for the various stopovers that allow you to click a picture or two and the amazingly spread city view of Bangkok from various heights of the mountain. You can also entertain yourself by sweeping your hands through the holy bells that fence the stairs right from the bottom of the temple till the top. The sounds that these bells create an ambience of a holy angelic or a spiritual being around us. After all the hopscotch acts and panting up the 300 rectangular blocks, when you reach the temple, you will feel that this exercise was worth the effort.



First, what you will see in awe is the wonderful view of the city from up above the temple. Then, your concentration will be drawn towards the entrance of the temple, which would be buzzing with slippers from all around the globe. Yeah! Kind of trippy right? Inside the sacred building, Buddha idols of different sizes, colours, make and importance will be arranged in front of your eyes.



The highlight, as talked about before, of this temple is the oblong hall that shelters the Buddha idol that was brought from India. The offering in this temple is a gold cover with a piece of camphor and the scented stick that can be used to light within the dark pool of ashes in front of the Buddha idols. All this is a heavenly experience. My hubby was quite excited about clicking snaps than actually being a part of the religious ritual.



While I was amazed at the beauty all these idols, the city view and the story that the young guide within the temple was entertaining me with, my hubby absconded to the next floor of the temple (which was equally challenging as the stairs to this floor was steep and dangerous) to capture some breath-taking pictures.





Down below, I was still with the guide who was taking me through the history of the main idol and the temple. He first instructed me to place the camphor (that was covered in the gold paper!) in front of the idol. The paper was then to be placed on the idol. Surprisingly, it got glued onto the idol as soon as I pasted it. This idol is placed in between a hollow circular hall with a narrowed cone-shaped ceiling, which opens up to the sky. It is believed that during some auspicious nights, this opening showcases the full moon so clearly that its reflection hits the peak of the idol and gives away a feel that mirrors an expression of rays radiating from the idol itself. The guide exclaimed that it is truly a breath-taking sight and if ever I got a chance to view it, there can be no other sight to match it. Quite reluctant to leave this scene, I stayed back a while to pray and register this experience for a lifetime. He even guided me to see a picture of Buddha’s tooth, which was brought all the way from India.



Then after a stroll through the shops and stalls inside the temple, I and my hubby started to leave the temple. I believe that this would be a momentous day that I would cherish all my life. After we both raced to the end of the temple, for a moment, we both turned to capture and absorb this feel. Then we headed back to our dear cabbie, Suntong. Really tired and exhausted, we headed back to the hotel. Well, we have more to see and experience tomorrow. So after a long drive through the highway and the city lanes, we finally reached the hotel after 6 p.m. Then we freshened up, took a small break, had a sandwich or two, and surfed the local channels over there to trip for an hour or two, apart from the regular HBOs and Star Movies. Then we headed to a nearby Shopping Mall, taking the local transport, the Tuk-tuk(Very similar to the ‘Auto’ in our country!) We actually wanted to go to a departmental store where we could get some amenities for the next 2 days and also some eateries. Our dear driver got us to this mall, which was at the edge of the Rama road (Name??? Do not remember!).

Oh! Talking about the Rama road, I have to mention that in Thailand, most roads go by the name of Lords, and though seas apart, both in Thailand and India, the same religion is followed, including the Gods. So, the roads are named mostly after Gods. Now back to the mall, we strolled through the entire mall which was in the heart of the city, bought a few attires and other souvenirs and also stopped to buy pizzas with a particular topping which was not quite known to me or to any Indian. Finally, back at the hotel, I went for a quick pedicure massage, had a nice shower after a tiring day, enjoyed the pizza (not quite!) with my hubby and wound up my day reading the book of Lord Buddha that was kept in the bottom draw of the side table.
Reminiscing all the wonderful moments I experienced in the day, in a random sequence, analyzing an event or two from the day and with a good night kiss from my hubby, I slowly dreamt my way off into those heavenly abodes of mysteries and missions. Who knows I might have been a Thai princess in my previous birth or something? So what is this, re-incarnation or a moment of relaxation???? The Lord knows right. Anyways, I can’t wait to wake up on yet another bright day. A day to explore another spectrum of this wonderland! ZZZZZ………………

0 reflections:

Post a Comment

Was this post of your interest? What kind of topics would you like me to blog about? Any criticism or open appreciation? Spill them all over here and do visit again to see the change or enjoy what you always read. Have a nice day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...